Saturday, January 28

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

A movie review (I can't bear the thought of titling another post "Reflections of" anything. I need a headline writer for my posts. And I believe I should also refrain from the cop out "Random Thoughts" for awhile.

Went to see the movie with my sister Denise. She has expressed an interest in trying to see as many of the Oscar nominated films as possible. I'll try to join her - I think. My friends will raise an eyebrow (some of you raise your eyebrows artistically and well) because they know that I rarely make it to the movies. When I recently took one of those Facebook surveys...I had seen 15 of the "Top 100 Movies of All Time (according to IMDB voters)". And I figure about 3 of those don't count because I didn't watch the whole thing.

But I do believe that watching the Oscars would be more interesting if I have seen more than one nominated film. So far...I've seen one. But I have about a month to catch a few more.

Which brings me to this evening. I find it difficult to put in to words what I felt about the movie. I do think it is an incredible experience. It will be different for every person that sees it because it will touch them in different ways. A brief synopsis of the movie: a man is killed in the collapse of the World Trade Center. His wife and son each deal with the loss. The son, who sees the world in an unusual way...call it Asperger's or autism or social connection disorder or just a hypersensitive boy...finds a key in his father's possessions. He sets out to find the lock that fits the key. He believes finding that will help make sense of his father's death.

It is a story of loss. A story of searching...of guilt...of death...and life. And so for each person who watches the movie - the connections that will be made are very personal. For some people whose life experiences include deep loss - the movie may press on raw nerves. Which may be painful. And could be cathartic.

When the final scene of the movie was done and the credits began, the silence in the movie theater continued for several long moments. There was not the quick hustle and bustle of patrons gathering their things and rushing to exit. For about 30 seconds there was no noise at all. Deafening silence. We were collectively absorbing the film.

It is a powerful movie.

For those who lost friends and family on "the worst day" - it may not yet be bearable. I found myself reflecting on the desperate feeling of not being able to connect with friends in New York City that day...and I lost no one in the attack. It is hard to imagine what it will feel like to those who experienced that day first hand. Especially if a loved one was harmed or killed.

I do recommend seeing Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close - but be prepared. It may be too close.

No comments:

Post a Comment