Wednesday, September 7

Random thoughts on prayer

I feel the need to post...but I don't know what direction to head. Let's just see where the rabbit trail leads.

Screech.

Brain locked up.

Fingers paused over keys hoping for direction.

I've been doing a bit of praying lately. It seems like a lot of folks in my life are going through things right now that are challenging. I'm trying to turn worry into prayer.

You see...I'm more of a worrier. I'd like to change that. So I'm trying to pray more. And realize that I can't control every situation. And I should stop and listen.

It seems like the path is so obscured sometimes. And I'd like to tell you that I bow my head and the sun comes out...birds chirp...answers sweep in... But that wouldn't be exactly realistic.

I've read a lot about prayer. The Sunday school class that I attended (and occasionally taught) before I started leading the Youth class did several studies on prayer. I must confess...I'm still pretty lousy at it.
When I communicate with God, I feel the connection. So, why don't I do it more often?

fingers hover over keyboard again...waiting patiently for direction...

I don't have the answer to that question either.

Too many distractions?

Lack of willpower?

fingers hovered again...distracted by TV noise, closed door and turned on uplifting music

Sometimes the world is too noisy. I need vacation. I'll be headed to the Outer Banks in a couple weeks. Hurricanes will take a break while I am there.

Strange parallel runs through my head. Thought faster than fingers can type. I was about to say something like "look around and see if there are people around you that need a prayer". I'm not exactly sure why that thought popped in. And then I thought of a passage in the last Harry Potter novel.

Yes...I am an avid fan of the Harry Potter series. I read the books, I saw the movies. And I listened to the series on CD (unabridged) several times through. Usually it would start during an NPR pledge drive and I'd reach for the first available book. And since I had all 7 HP books on CD in my car...often I'd start with whichever one was in reach. (don't get me wrong - love NPR, I pledge...hate the fund drive).

There are a few folk out there who have listened to or read the series more than once. And there is remarkably skilled foreshadowing...intersecting plot points...and a deeper subtext. And that becomes more apparent in the later books.

The point I was making (was that a rabbit trail within a rabbit trail?)...in the last book (spoiler alert...) when the trio is on the run and they listen to a radio broadcast by the "rebel forces" - one of the order urges the wizarding community to cast spells of protection over the Muggles in their neighborhoods. To protect those who didn't even know that they needed protection - but who were suffering through the obstacles in their daily lives.

We can pray for those who don't even know that we are aware they are suffering. Not only can we...but we should.

And perhaps when we do...we get a little closer to the answers.

Hmmm...I think I'll call that hamster beaten.

1 comment:

  1. It boils down to talking or communicating in some way (which is your choice)with GOD. It,s simple but we make it complcated & of course don,t pray often enough. Don,t forget to take time to listen !!

    ReplyDelete