Wednesday, October 19

What I want to be is...

A lot of folks knew from a very young age what they wanted to be when they grew up. Sometimes I envy them. I went to high school with people that knew they wanted to be doctors or lawyers or teachers. And a lot of them have accomplished those goals.

And then there are friends that I have seen fall in love with a particular vocation and work hard to be the best in their field. I have one friend who is about to tape his 3rd or 4th (or 5th?) stint on One Life to Live. I knew when I saw him perform the first time that he had that special something that would propel him to success in the performing arts. I saw him in Deathtrap. I was the sound designer on that production. And even after watching a week of rehearsals and a half dozen performances...I had to stop whatever I was doing to watch one particular scene.

If you haven't seen the show (or the movie version with Christopher Reeve)...there is a scene where the older playwright threatens to burn the younger playwright's manuscript. Whenever Jamie delivered his line to halt the destruction...my blood just ran cold. It takes a lot to make a jaded technician (I think this was the third time I had worked on a production of this play) stop and take notice. Talent. That is what it takes.

My point is - to all those people who know what they want to be when they grow up - that is pretty cool. I still haven't figured that out for myself. At least not the vocation part. But here are a few things that I know that I want to be:

Honest
Ethical
Fun
Generous
Loving
Creative
Non-judgmental
Kind
Intelligent...maybe even a little bit wise?
Patient
A good listener

So, whatever field I end up in next...teacher, minister, chef, manager, ditch-digger...that won't matter nearly as much as the person I end up being. I don't care about rich or thin or famous.

Navel gazed.

Hamster beaten.

1 comment:

  1. gorgeous post... i am one of the lucky ones... i loved to write, i loved radio and i loved music... and against the odds, i got my ultimate dream job. of course, after 14 years, when they laid me off, along with everyone else over 40... i've spent the 2.5 years wondering, NOW WHAT? all the same, i am so fortunate to have had a glorious career. i think i could be satisfied working in retail for the rest of my life...

    ReplyDelete