Friday, December 2

More Wisdom from Odd Places

I wrote a couple weeks ago about being open to finding wisdom any place. And tonight I found a bit more to share. And the cool bonus? It came wrapped around dark chocolate.

Recently I picked up a bag of Dove dark chocolates - well - two bags actually. Because they were buy one, get one free. And the only thing better than chocolate is free chocolate. And tonight as a reward for surviving work, hand bell choir practice (in the piece we are working on I get to whomp the bells on the table!!) AND choir practice...I got a few pieces out of the bag to enjoy.

As I was about to toss the foil wrapper in the trash, I remembered that Dove puts messages on their wrappers. Sort of a fortune cookie without the lottery numbers. And it so happens that this bag is holiday themed - so the following are bits of wisdom from my late night snack:

"Promise yourself some relaxing holiday moments." That is a really good idea. I know I usually get so caught up in the hustle and bustle of the holiday that I forget to just stop and smell the Christmas tree. Already I find myself hopelessly over-scheduled and none of that scheduled stuff includes shopping or baking. I'm going to have to learn to say "I just can't fit that in, but thank you so much for asking." And that will leave me more time for the next Dove advice:

"Your presence is often the best present" and "A helping hand is sometimes the best present of all." I keep seeing my Facebook peeps stressing about this gift or that gift. And I KNOW that I'm not swept up in that because I HATE shopping...but I forget that the best part of Christmas is being present. Not running from this event to that event...but taking the time to just sit and enjoy the company of the person I am with. And, helping a friend (or stranger) with something is even better than buying them something. I'm a huge fan of alternative gift-giving. And whoever has my name for the family gift exchange...I'd love a big pile of canned goods for the food pantry.

And the last foil wisdom for tonight? "Joy to...you" I'm going to stop from time to time this season to remember the reason for Joy. The world had been waiting so long for a promise to be fulfilled. And in a little town, overcrowded by visitors...in a stable...the wait was over.

Hamster beaten. Chocolate consumed. Cat snoring. All is right with the world.

Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device from U.S. Cellular

No comments:

Post a Comment