Wednesday, April 20

Choral Conspiracy

This weekend will mark the 3rd or 4th cantata that I have been the narrator for. Did you know that according to somebody - more people would rather be dead than speak in public? Don't ask me who said so, I think I saw it on the Today show. I am not one of those people. Give me a microphone and you'll have a hard time getting it back.

I dearly love the sound of my own voice.

Talking that is.

Singing, I'm too afraid to listen to recordings of me singing. I suspect that I sound like a dying bull moose. Which makes the fact that I have sung solos and duets - and now a trio - at Centenary United Methodist. I strongly suspect that there is a very kind
conspiracy going on.

For a long time now, I have believed that somebody is paying off people in the choir to let me continue to sing with them. Some sort of grand "Truman Show" of a vocal nature. But just like with the handbells...secretly...I'm having a great time. Whether they are being paid to be nice to me or not - I enjoy singing (especially with my usual duet partner Karen Bell, who has the voice of an angel) (she must be getting paid the most of all! Which is good because the school system pays bupkus).

This Sunday at Centenary UMC on Rivermont in Lynchburg (11am) you are
invited to come check it out for yourself. And if indeed - I sound like a dying bull moose - I ask you to let me know. Gently though - I also have an easily bruised ego.

We will be performing a mini-cantata that starts with the trio of Karen Bell, Maryann Sigler and myself performing a great song - Galilee Man. I really wish I could remember the name of the cantata. The three of us have been working under the tutelage of Johnson Scott and with the exception of last Thursday night (the first time we performed in front of the choir as a whole) - when we sort of choked...we sound great! Well - maybe.

It is entirely possible that Mom may have to increase her payments...

And at the end of the service it is a tradition at Centenary to sing the Hallelujah Chorus from Handel's Messiah. Wow does that go up high!! If you can help us out on that one - everyone is welcome to join us in the choir loft for the benediction. It is a glorious experience - Karen Bell will end up in tears, but will still hit the high notes.

And then I will get to drink a Coke. Hallelujah.

No comments:

Post a Comment