Wednesday, February 16

A Basketball Story

I promised a report on a basketball game. It was AWESOME! Ask anyone who knows me - I don't follow college basketball. I don't follow the NBA. I don't watch basketball. Except rec league. For those of you who don't know what that is...I am speaking of city recreational league. I have watched since my nephew Jack was in about the 5th grade? Anyway - I have watched him grow from a short kid who had a lot of hustle...but not the star... He is now a smart player - he's actually thinking and observing and figuring out the next level of play.

Face it - the young Jack and his team mates had one goal. Get the points. No basket...no glory. The team and the strategy was pretty much lost on them. Now he and his team have really gelled. They know that there is more to it than who puts the ball in the hole.

Watching them the last couple of games I've seen the absence of the glory hog ball handlers. It is now more important to figure out the SMARTEST choice. Sometimes it is the quick small guys sliding up through the middle, sometimes the big power guy just knocking a few guys out of the way for a layup. Sometimes the showmanship of the dead-eye from beyond the 3 point line. The WHOLE team gets the points...not just the man with the ball. They seem to have figured it out. And the score showed it.

Truthfully - I don't remember what the exact score was (I asked Jack and he let me know it was 38-41). I know there was a 3 point difference. I know my heart was pounding and my throat was raw from yelling. (uh yeah...nobody wants to sit too close to me at the game). I know that there was a shot from beyond the 3 point line with 2 seconds left on the clock. I wish it had gone in.

But it didn't.

And you know what?

That's ok.

It was one HELL of a game. Against the undefeated #1 team in the league. They just about got their heads handed to them by little band of scrappy guys (most of them in their first year in this age division) that entered the playoffs as #4. They spent most of the season in the basement. Yeah - David nearly took down Goliath again.

So. Hold your heads high Sixers. Go Blue (that's the team color...). Great basketball. Hope to see you guys together again next year. I. Can't. Wait.

Hamster beaten - but not defeated.

No comments:

Post a Comment